The assert: Tampa Bay Buccaneers proprietor compensated for newspaper ad criticizing Biden’s managing of Afghanistan
A total-website page advertisement critical of President Joe Biden’s managing of Afghanistan has led to a scenario of mistaken identification on Facebook.
“Mr. President, People deserve far better,” reads the ad’s short message, signed by Hugh F. Culverhouse Jr. “Your impulsive steps, bias and indecision in your crisis in Afghanistan have brought on Us citizens everlasting shame.”
The full-site advert ran Aug. 26 in the Wall Road Journal and New York Put up. A photo of the ad was shared in excess of 20,000 occasions on Facebook in a lot less than two weeks, with the caption claiming it was “paid for by the operator of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.”
“Damn! I’m a Steelers fan but I now Must root for the Bucs,” wrote one commenter.
Nonetheless, Culverhouse is neither the owner nor the former owner of the Bucs.
Relatively, he is the son of the team’s first owner, Hugh F. Culverhouse Sr. The team is now owned by the Glazer family members, which bought the crew in 1995 after Culverhouse Sr.’s dying.
United states Right now achieved out to numerous people who shared the submit for comment.
Culverhouse Jr. has no leadership part with Bucs
Culverhouse Jr. instructed Usa These days that he acted as an NFL agent for his father right before his demise in 1994, but that he has had no purpose in the team’s management considering that.
“Potentially the similarity of my name caused Ted Cruz to call me the operator,” Culverhouse informed Usa Now in an e-mail. “However, look in my advertisement in the WSJ and NY Write-up. Only my signature seems. My father was 74 when he died. This is not tough. The Glazers have had more than 25 years of publicity as the Buccaneers entrepreneurs.”
Reality verify roundup:What’s real and what’s false about the Taliban takeover in Afghanistan
Culverhouse Sr. was a wealthy tax attorney and actual estate trader, according to Sarasota Journal. He was awarded the enlargement Tampa Bay franchise by the NFL in 1974 and owned it right up until his dying.
Businessman Malcolm Glazer acquired the Buccaneers from Culverhouse Sr.’s belief in 1995 for $192 million, in accordance to the LA Instances. Glazer handed ownership on to his daughter Darcia Glazer Kassewitz and sons Bryan, Edward, Joel, Avram and Kevin Glazer. All of them are mentioned on the Buccaneers’ web page.
Our rating: Fake
We fee False the claim that the proprietor of Tampa Bay Buccaneers paid for a newspaper advert criticizing Biden’s managing of Afghanistan, based mostly on our investigate. The ad is signed and sponsored by Hugh F. Culverhouse Jr., who has in no way owned the team. His father, Hugh F. Culverhouse Sr., owned the Buccaneers right until his death in 1994. The Glazer household now owns the team and has no connection to this advertisement.
Our reality-test resources:
- Hugh Culverhouse, Sept. 2, E mail job interview with United states Now
- The New York Instances, Aug. 26, 1994, Hugh Culverhouse, 75, Operator of the Buccaneers
- Steve Guest, Sept. 3, Email interview with Usa These days
- Sarasota Journal, June 6, 2019, Effective Landowner Substantial Culverhouse Jr. Takes Goal at the Political Institution
- LA Periods, Jan. 17, 1995, Buccaneers Are Bought to Florida Financier : NFL: Approximated $192 million is most ever compensated for pro franchise. Crew will remain in Tampa.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers, accessed Sept. 2, Entrance Business Personnel
- Tampa Bay Times, June 8, 2019, Alabama to refund Hugh Culverhouse Jr.’s $26M donation soon after anti-abortion backlash
- United states of america Nowadays, June 8, 2019, Alabama mega donor blames governor just after college returns $21.5M amid abortion regulation dispute
- Wall Road Journal Print Version, Aug. 26, Compensated Ad on Webpage A6A
- Washington Article, June 7, 2019, I gave the College of Alabama $26.5 million. They gave it back when I spoke out about abortion.
Thank you for supporting our journalism. You can subscribe to our print version, advertisement-absolutely free app or electronic newspaper reproduction below.
Our reality-check get the job done is supported in element by a grant from Fb.